Reducing your sugar consumption can reduce the health risks of eating sugar. One way to get your sugar consumption down and reduce those health risks is to do a sugar detox.
Sugar comes with many disguises. Read the labels of your favorite foods and you’ll see that sugar is found in many of the foods you buy at the grocery store. Even foods you might not suspect can contain sugar.
On those labels, look for words like glucose, fructose, maltose and dextrose. Just about any –ose word signifies sugar. And if you read a little closer on those labels, you’ll find the percentages of those –ose ingredients are surprisingly high.
Did you know that a food label lists the ingredients by percentage, with the ingredient with the highest percentage being first? So look at the label for those sugar words, including all those –ose words and see how many of them are high on the ingredients list on those labels.
More than one type of sugar in a can or package of food simply increases the percentage of sugar in that food.
“So…” you ask, “what’s the big deal?” Well it is a big deal. But wait! There’s more! Obesity is scary, but there are many more health risks caused –directly or indirectly– by the consumption of sugar.
Let’s start with obesity and continue from there…
- Obesity — As if we didn’t already know it, consumption of sugar is a major culprit in the onset of weight gain, the end result being obesity. Sugar causes the body to store fat, but it also makes you feel hungry. So, you end up getting fatter and fatter.
- Metabolic Syndrome X and Diabetes — Although sugar is not supposed to be a direct cause of diabetes, sugar does cause the body to store fat, indirectly contributing to the onset of diabetes.
- Candida Albicans — Candida Albicans loves sugar. Eating a lot of sugar can cause an overgrowth of candida, making it spread outside the intestines invading just about any part of the body. This yeast can attack your eyes, ears, brain, heart, your reproductive tract, or any number of other areas of the body.
- Heart Disease — Studies have shown that a diet high in sugar, any type of sugar, increase the risk of heart disease.
- Damage to vital organs — Sugar can increase the size of your liver and kidneys, causing the liver cells to divide and causing pathological changes in kidneys. It can also increase liver fat, and damage your pancreas.
- Cancer — Cancer is another organism that absolutely adores sugar. Want to grow a cancer you already have? Give it sugar! Want to starve the cancer, starve it by depriving it of sugar.
- And the list goes on and one, but just these health risks alone are enough to scare the bejeebers out of anyone. So what’s a body to do?
- First and foremost, evaluate your daily sugar intake. Make it a priority to reduce your intake to less than ten percent of daily calories. If this is a problem, you might want to consider doing a sugar detox
Make your health a priority by lowering your sugar intake and doing a sugar detox and your body will thank you for it.